Thursday, May 17, 2007

The Masquerade.


I need freedom. I need it to stop. The stares, the accusations. Why am I being victimized for being who I truly am? For taking off that horrid mask you've made me wear for years & years. I never knew freedom came at such a price. I thought freedom was sweet.

I used to be one of them. Every night I would attend that masquerade ball, put on my mask. I mingled with the fakers, hypocrites, back-stabbers, accusers. I was one of them. I had become what society wanted me to be because I knew no one would accept me for who I am. Lies were in every word they spoke, a slim lining in their conversations. No one was your friend. I stood by those glass windows, looking out on the world I've never known. Would I fit in there? would they accept me? No. I was safe here in this masquerade of lies. But how I long to be free of this wretched mask. Suddenly looking out I saw him. His eyes shone like emeralds. He looked right through my mask. I knew it. He was looking at the real me. I knew it was time. Time to be free, time to leave this world of fakes and make believe.

I took off my mask ever so slowly. The air felt soft, gentle against my skin. I was free. But they started gathering around me. Glaring. They hated me because my face held all the emotions they were feeling. The emotions they were to fearful to show. They looked at me in disgust and loath because I was one of them no more. I was free and they hated me for it. They were closing in. They're going to tear me into pieces. NO! I need to get out! I need to be free! No one could hear my cries. Is this freedom?

Please go away..I curled myself into a ball. everything around me was turning. God, help me. I need to get away from this fakers now. All around me, cold. Empty. This is the end. My freedom was short lived. Suddenly I felt something warm enclose me. It pulled me up and kept me in it's warmth. It was him. The man at the window. He's arms held on to me, not letting go as those ugly monsters in their mask got closer. 'Get away from her! You are all cowards! You fear nothing but yourselves!' He shouted. He grabbed my hand and we ran. Oh how we ran. I could feel their hot breath against my skin but I did not care. I wasn't afraid anymore. They chased after us, but stopped short at the end of the hall. They were scared. He held on to me and turned to face them. 'What you don't realise is that your better off without that mask. That world out there loves your real nature. Not this. Don't you get it? It's your imperfections that make you perfect.'


*Dedicated to Kat. Let back-stabbers & hypocrites be who there are. You just keep being the gem you are.*

screaming on the inside. Wanting to be free.

4 comments:

Michelle said...

Omg..I love this..This is sooo good Pauline..I like the way you describe everything..I like the main idea..I like everything..I lurve everything..Good job..

~michelle~ said...

its awesome!!! the feelings n emotions n all...bt bt..jz a lil topsy-turvy tho.haha..as in, it cud b kinda confusing. but its really really great!! u shud continue de story...hehe.

Jinx said...

haha..son worry, i think its kinda topsy turvy/confusing too..but i guess coz dats da way i was feeling when i wrote this..emotions all over the place..but this old punching bag is gonna keep on bertahan..don really have a choice do i?

Anonymous said...

hey...I really know how it feel to be wanting to scream....but not being able too...........it really shows all emotions...i love it!